The Visiting Bands Committee primary function is to help provide accommodation, meals and transportation for bands visiting Calgary for the Calgary Stampede. We coordinate appearances for the bands throughout Calgary during the 10 days of Stampede. These appearance include performances at Stampede Caravans breakfasts, venues on Stampede Park and performances at community events. The Visiting Bands Committee also hosts "Showbands Live", a marching band competition in the Scotiabank Saddledome on the Tuesday during Stampede.
The Calgary Stampede is celebrating its 100th anniversary in 2012! The celebration will officially begin on Friday July 6, 2012 when over 350 000 spectators will line the downtown streets of Calgary to watch the Calgary Stampede Parade.
Why come to the Calgary Stampede?
If your band decides to join us at the Stampede, we will attempt to alleviate some travel hardships for participating bands by providing each visiting band with:
In addition your band can take home some of the $34 000 available in prize money. Showbands Live takes place in the Scotiabank Saddledome and offers $16,000 in prize money. The Calgary Stampede Parade televised World-wide, has $18 000 in prize money for marching bands and is seen by over 350 000 spectators lining our city streets and millions more on live televised broadcasts.
- Free gym style accommodation (as space permits).
- Free transportation to and from Stampede performances.
- Breakfast performances which include a free meal for the band members.
- Free admission to the Stampede Park for qualifying bands to enjoy the entertainment the Stampede provides.
- Inexpensive and wholesome meals during the band's stay.
Within our city and close by your band's Calgary tour can include:
Our committee provides visiting bands with a personal Stampede Host that is available to assist you with booking performances and visits to these and other great locations in the Calgary area.
- Enjoying an afternoon at the world famous rodeo.
- Watching our Chuckwagon Races followed by the Evening Stage Show Spectacular & fireworks finale.
- Whitewater rafting in the Rocky Mountains.
- Exploring Banff National Park.
- Visiting the Drumheller Dinosaur Museum.